The chapel "Hohes Kreuz" were created in the opening of the market Mondsee in Salzkammergut.
It originated as a path chapel at the northern entrance to the much-traveled pilgrimage route from the Lower Bavarian region along the Mattigfurche to Mondsee and further to St. Wolfgang and was one of the small sanctuaries which were equipped on this way, often with remarkable works of art. It was the last stop for the pilgrimage trains, before they entered the monastery church of Mondsee.
The Hochkreuz-Kapelle is decorated with a gothic Kruzefix (sculptor unknown) and with frescoes to the suffering story of Christ by Wolfhuber. They are to point the miraculous pilgrims to the greatest miracle, the salvation on the cross.
That Abbot Wolfgang Haberl built this chapel building can be seen from the walled-in stone, which shows the intricate monogram "-A (Wolfgangus Abbas)" and the year 1516. This is also the age of the frescos, made by the hand of Wolf Huber As a master of the Donauschule, was almost the master builder of the Archbishop of Passau, and the Hochkreuzkapelle was dated 1516. This means that he came from Passau to Mondsee, which belonged to the Bishopric of Passau, That Wolfhuber negotiated with the abbot on another commission, and that on this occasion the frescoes on this chapel arose, making the impression that they were thrown with a light hand.